Friday, November 19, 2010

Audism affects everyone!


(Excerpt from NorthEast Florida Association for the Deaf website.)

In all my years of school, I have never cried in class; that is until last night. About a month ago, our ASL teacher had us read and sign an agreement that we would not use our voice in class. Over the past month, I’ve witnessed students using their voices, not to mention, text messaging (don’t get me started) and not paying attention.

I have felt frustrated with my talking classmates. Why? Despite their proficiency in signing, they insist on talking, as if following rules doesn’t matter, ignoring the teacher’s request. Often times, I would feel the urge to do something about it. But, I’ve learned, through experience, it’s better for me to stand back and just observe.

My ASL teacher is Deaf. (Yes, that’s a big “D.” Meaning she is “culturally/linguistically” deaf. Small “d” is “audiological/medical.”) She has repeatedly asked us not to use our voices in class. The agreement we all signed noted that if we used our voice we would be sent out of the classroom and we’d have to request to return with an apology. Part of me was frustrated that there wasn’t any follow-through on the part of the teacher. She knew people were using their voices. I attributed this to her being too nice. But, if she didn’t follow-through with the agreement, what was the point of having it in the first place?

Last night, my teacher’s weeks of tolerance finally ended. At the beginning of class she asked what respect meant to us. The room became silent. Finally. I sat there and listened. Her emotions ranged from anger, sadness, and disappointment. I was ashamed. I was equally embarrassed that my talking classmates put our teacher in this position.

Most of all, how can we be part of the Deaf community if we don’t respect those who are willing to share their beautiful language with us?

1 comment:

Cassiamarie said...

very moving. i see that in so many cultures and languages.