Monday, March 29, 2010

It Happens! Turning 50!

When one turns 50 years old, they should have their first colonoscopy. This is the year of the big 5-0, so my doctor made the referral. I was so excited that I forgot my birthday isn’t until November. The gastroenterologist who performed my procedure asked me why I was early; I responded that I couldn’t wait. (What was I thinking!?)

At Kaiser, they have you come in for a class to prepare yourself for your colonoscopy. There are two nurses and one doctor in a room the size of a broom closet stuffed with about ten patients. We had to fill out paper work, watch a video on what to expect, and got to ask questions.

First thing I learned, even though my appointment was for Friday, I had to cancel everything I had planned for Thursday. (Things they don’t tell you when you make the appointment!) I was grumbling a bit about it, but realized there was never going to be a good time, so I kept my appointment.

I must say that the preparation for the colonoscopy was very stressful. The nurses in the preparation class explained if you didn’t prepare correctly they would send you home and you’d have to come back another time. You have to stop eating solid foods two days before the procedure. The day before is restricted to clear liquids, with Ducolax pills at noon, then starting at 5 p.m., drinking two liters or half the bottle of Colyte in ten minute increments; that is, an eight ounce glass every ten minutes. Finally, the day of the procedure, no drinking after the second half of the Colyte is finished, again eight ounces every ten minutes starting at 6 a.m.

My appointment was at 2:40 p.m. After signing a release and hooked up to an iv , I was wheeled away into an extra large office big enough for the bed but not much more. Once the Demerol was injected, I was out cold. When I opened my eyes again, I was in recovery. The Dr. stopped by to say everything was fine and to come back in ten years.

My husband took me down to the car in a wheelchair. I couldn’t stay awake. As soon as I got home, I passed out. I woke up once at 12:30 a.m. and forced myself back to sleep. I slept for about 12 hours.

Yay! I’m alive!

No comments: