Sunday, April 4, 2010

"See What I’m Saying" – A Documentary


Before See What I’m Saying was released for it’s first theatrical release, I received invites from GLAD (Greater Los Angeles Agency on Deaf), Deaf West Theatre, and friends in both my ASL1 and ASL2 classes.

I offered to take a brother, Scott, of a friend in my Saturday ASL1 class who is deaf. It wasn’t out of my way since I was driving over Laurel Canyon to the Laemmle Sunset 5. There was some confusion as to what time the show started but we got there in time. Turns out about seventy students from California School for the Deaf Riverside (CSDR) had just arrived, also. We were late but the movie had not started.

So many parts of the movie touched me. My ASL1 teacher said to bring tissue. I had been forewarned and he was right. I was mostly saddened when Robert DeMayo (actor) talked about his mother who never made an effort to learn sign language.

Just two days earlier, I had learned that the North Valley Occupational Center had a deaf program. Bob Hiltermann (drummer), a teacher at the school, was one of the featured artist in the movie. Scott knew him since he attended NVOC.

I recognized CJ Jones (comic) from Deaf West Theatre (DWT). I volunteer for DWT in the office–helping with graphics, website updates, and the Facebook fan page. When DWT produced “Stories by Shel” featuring The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, I assisted in the box office once. CJ directed the show and I recall seeing him behind the scenes.

TL Forsberg (singer) was the only woman represented in the documentary. She was edgy and had a great voice. I was proud of her. It was fun to watch the CSDR girls light up when they posed for a picture with her. What a great role model. (That’s TL in the picture with me above.)

Much of the footage for the documentary was filmed in the Los Angeles area. GLAD in Eagle Rock, El Rey Theatre in NoHo, House of Blues on Sunset, Marriott in Woodland Hills, to name a few.

Bob Hiltermann, CJ Jones, TL Forsberg, and the director/producer, Hilari Scarl, were special guests following the matinee showing for Q&A. We heard from all the entertainers except Robert, who lives on the East Coast. Hilari explained that the documentary took five years to film, edit, and produce. What an amazing project.

This documentary helped me learn more about the deaf community. I want to be part of it. I realize American Tribal Style (ATS) bellydance can also become part of that community, if I can find a way to share and teach deaf dance students. Perhaps someday–ATS passed along from generation to generation. I can only hope.

2 comments:

crit said...

so so cool! i am LOVING reading about your journey learning sign language and getting more involved with the Deaf community. awesome!

Cassiamarie said...

What a wonderful undertaking. Teaching girls who are deaf ATS is just a beautiful idea. I can't wait to see more.