Sunday, April 25, 2010

I’m Having A “Frosty Paw” Moment

Berowne came to us at nine weeks old. It was just after the 4th of July holiday weekend in 1993. My friend, Doris, came up to me at work and said, “Do you know anyone who wants a Golden Retriever puppy?”

Bob didn’t have a chance to say, “No.” I have no idea how the discussion went. He might say I threatened him. I suspect it was more like, he said, “When and where do we go pick him up?” Laguna Beach was where we got him and that Saturday wasn’t soon enough.

Before Berowne was given his name, he was someone else’s pet for a week (at eight weeks old), a friend of Doris’. He was a gift to someone’s wife. Unfortunately, things didn’t work out–they were expecting a baby, their yard didn’t have a fence, and the puppy had separation anxiety. The puppy had flown down from the Bay Area with the owner (husband) a week earlier.

There is way too much to write in one blog entry about the life and times of Berowne “ChewPee” Miller. (He got his Native American name within the first few months, since all he did was chew and pee.) He was too smart for his own good. Many dog trainers tell you when your dog runs off, lay down immediately and the dog will come back? Not our ChewPee!

For 14-1/2 years Berowne had a Frosty Paw practically every day of his life. What are Frosty Paws? They are ice cream for dogs made out of a soy product. Berowne knew them by name. Eventually we were unable to say the two words together. Couldn’t whisper it either, he knew. Even knew, “F.P.” (I can still see his ears pricking up.) He usually had one after dinner before we went to bed. In his latter days, he’d come walk into the doorway and give a look. It meant, “Come follow me.” We’d follow. He’d then lead us into the kitchen and point his nose at the freezer. Seriously!

Today, I had mentioned “Frosty Paws.” For a second, I thought I had to whisper so Berowne wouldn’t hear. Oh, how I miss that sweet puppy.

1 comment:

Cassiamarie said...

what a beautiful story and picture. thank you for sharing Laurie.