Thursday, April 29, 2010

How May I Help You?


My first job was working at Fosters Freeze at the corner of Fallbrook Ave. and Victory Blvd. in Canoga Park. Where the sidewalk met the two streets on the northeast corner is where the building stood. It’s no longer there. Demolished and now a parking lot for Orchard Supply Hardware.

Why work at Fosters Freeze? I don’t know. I had never eaten there. There were no connections with the owner. Just happened to be my first job. We had to wear nurses’ uniforms. Not the kind worn today, but the traditional all white uniform. We wore a blue and white striped apron over them.

Behind the counter at Fosters Freeze, workers were either flipping burgers or dishing up desserts. I did the latter. Also known as “working the walk-up window,” facing the street on Fallbrook Ave.

My favorite dessert to prepare was the banana split. We didn’t make it very often. I could create one in seconds. First cut a banana lengthwise. Place the two halves on each side of the dish. Then add three scoops of vanilla ice cream between the banana halves. On each scoop pour a pineapple, chocolate, and strawberry mixture. Top with whipped cream, chopped peanuts, with a cherry on top. (I knew I’d need to share that information someday.)

During the time I worked at Fosters Freeze, about four or five months, I worked the cash register, prepared food, and cleaned up. I also learned how to work with others. Most of all, I remember learning how to say, “Hi, how may I help you?”

1 comment:

Cassiamarie said...

thats a good lesson. Not many people nowadays ask if you need help. Most just stick their nose up in the air or pretend they don't see you. My first job was at Hot Sam's pretzel stand in the mall. I learned an important lesson, don't eat the pretzels you don't make because everyone else was told it was okay to serve the ones that fell on the floor. I have good karma coming my way, I never sold one I dropped.