Monday, May 10, 2010

Nature’s Window at de la Osa St.


We’ve been feeding the bird as long as I can remember.

We started with one hummingbird feeder in the front of the house. I kept adding on. Now, this is when my husband rolls his eyes, we have a total of nine hummingbird feeders strategically located along all walls of the house.

We have water dishes (aka bird baths) for the birds (and squirrels). There’s one dish in the front yard and two in the backyard.

We have one seed birdfeeder in the front yard and one in the back. The squirrels get their own feeder.

Several years ago I discovered Nature’s Window. It’s a speaker with a small microphone that brings the sounds outdoors inside. Sadly, the device was so powerful we couldn’t use it after 7 a.m. Otherwise we can hear the neighbor’s dogs barking, cars driving down the street, or airplanes flying overhead, and you can imagine the sounds of a lawnmower or leaf blower. O my.

Once in awhile, we get visits from hawks. Sometimes we get a cluster of crows hanging out in our trees. Last year we had a mocking bird living in a tree behind our house. (They sing at odd hours of the morning.) It can get pretty noisy around here. Just the other day, we had a crow knocking at our back sliding glass door. (I suspect looking for handouts.)

I can never get tired listening or watching birds eat/drink, or take a bath in our birdbaths. The squirrels are amusing, too. I know the cats, Adriana and Luciana, appreciate the view, too.

2 comments:

Cassiamarie said...

I love nature. I see in my backyard all the birds and squirrels. I put a seed block thing in a tree but no one seems to eat any. I had a hummingbird feeder that filled with rain water which diluted the hummingbird food. Any suggestions on what may draw the crowds?

Scott Tesar said...

The cats are in therapy as a result of all of this activity, I'm pretty sure...