Monday, July 5, 2010

Out of Sight

This is a photo of the left side of the closet in the blue room. Yes, when the door is closed, it's out of sight and out of mind. Sad but true. I want to change that.

Recently, the last week of June, a Facebook friend posted that he got a call from the “Oprah Network asking if I knew of someone who had issues with clutter that would like help with their problem on the show.”

I responded, “Yes, I know someone.”

Turns out the Oprah Winfrey Network is looking for families to be part of “Enough Already! with Peter Walsh.” I have the name of the casting director if there’s anyone out there who’s interested.

After giving it some thought, “nobody wants to be told they have clutter issues.” If my husband had any say, he’d nominate me. In fact, my husband is the guy you want to invite over when you say, “I have a clutter problem; can you help me?” He has systems down. My horizontal piles drive him crazy.

I first learned about Peter Walsh last September when I got a phone call for a job to help a woman organize her office. I had thought I should do a little research before taking on the task. The job fell through, but I acquired the book, “How to Organize Just about Everything,” by Peter Walsh.

Peter Walsh has office supplies exclusively with OfficeMax called “[IN]PLACE SYSTEM.” I’ve picked up a sample set and have learned that I need to use see through folders and containers. My problem? Out of sight, out of mind.

I want to declutter my life.

I think about my legacy. When I die, I don’t want to burden other people with packing up my junk. More importantly, I want to be freed from my clutter, so instead of thinking about it, everything is organized and I can find my keys. Old age and memory doesn’t make things any easier.

No comments: