Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mock (yeah) • ing (yeah) • bird (yeah) • yeah (yeah)!


In 1974, Carly Simon and James Taylor’s, “Mockingbird,” hit the pop charts. I can see my friend Phyllis and me standing out on the front lawn of her parent’s house on Shoup Ave. We’d crank up the stereo and belt out the song at the top of our lungs, alternating between who’d sing Carly's or James’ part.

Phyllis’ parents were not home during the afternoon. I learned later that she was what became a term called “latch-key kid.” We met in youth band during the summer of 1974. Then we discovered we went to the same junior high school. We were inseparable.

Another favorite pastime of ours was baton twirling. Yep, we would spend hours on the front lawn trying different routines together.

I wanted to be a majorette since as long as I can remember. I would spend my allowance on a baton from Karl’s hobby store in the Fallbrook Mall. The problem--it would get a dent in the metal and in no time at all be endered useless. I must not have shown promise because a professional baton was never an option.

Anyone who remembers West Valley Youth Band will remember w e had a junior and senior band. The senior band had Nancy Rupender(sp). She was a phenomenal baton twirler, letting the baton twirl as she let the thing fly (sometimes two) in front, behind, and up above, as she herself performed multiple turns, flips, and cartwheels.

Phyllis and I were just happy we didn’t get a dent in our batons. Those mockingbird days are long gone. High school pulled us apart. I went to El Camino and she to Canoga Park High School.

I hope when Phyllis hears “Mockingbird” by Carly Simon and James Taylor, she pauses and reflects.

2 comments:

Anne@Kitschy Vintage said...

I have always loved James & Carly's version of Mockingbird -- thanks for sharing it! Now I'll have it stuck in my head for the next few days...

la_miller said...

My friend Phyllis ended her battle with cancer on Sunday, October 25, 2015. I am happy I got to spend four days with her during the summer of 2014.