Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The End Is Where We Start From


2009 ends soon. This month, December, I have spent connecting with old and new bellydance friends. Doing some drumming, some dancing, and some watching. I even completed attaching fake flowers to hair clips (see photo). Flowers in the hair is an ATS costuming staple!
  • Sat., Dec. 5 - Rahana/Velvet Gypsy Drum Circle in Santa Monica. Went to see my drummer friend, Jeff, perform with “Ensemble El Hadi.” Brought my frame drum.
  • Sun. Dec. 6 - Holiday Hafla in Northridge. My ATS students gathered and performed. It was co-hosted by me, Edara and Amara. My drummer pals, Jeff M., Jeff S., and Larry, also joined in at the end for an impromptu drum circle.
  • Tues., Dec. 8 – Alex Spurkel’s drum class and my Level 2 & 3 students (and guests)
    gathered for a night of improvisation.
  • Thu., Dec. 10 – Tribal Dance Jam night with Sooz’s students in Fullerton with Margaret.
  • Sat., Dec. 12 - “Twisted Gypsy” with their drummers at a Hip Hop Pow Wow at The Onion (a UU church) in North Hills.
  • Sun., Dec. 13 - the Dance Garden “Holiday Fiesta,” a student recital in Atwater Village. My dance sister, Soy, and her students performed ATS.

In November, I was invited to Soy’s ATS open practice for performance. She was preparing her students for the Dance Garden recital. Each week we gathered and improvised. It was shortly thereafter I was inspired to end public classes and begin ATS open practice instead.

Tuesday, Dec. 8, was my last night offering classes to the public. Starting in January, 2010, I will facilitate ATS open practice for dancers who already know ATS. This will provide my students a place to dance together and most of all a chance to connect with other ATS dancers in the SoCal area.

“What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.”
– T.S. Eliot

Photo of bellydancer ©Sorin Constantin

No comments: