Saturday, December 5, 2009

Scissors & Tape - Why Some Rules Are Necessary


Today my husband and I are preparing packages to ship off to family in Germany. I grabbed the scissors and tape and remembered a rule we had growing up in the Gysin family regarding the latter.

The scissors and tape were kept in the hall closet. After one walks through the front door, turn right down the hallway. On the left, after passing the main closet (where we kept the vacuum, coats, and bags), there were four sets of doors—two below and two above. These items were kept on the top left bottom shelf.

We had trouble keeping the scissors and tape in the closet. They would grow feet and walk away. I remember many times getting into trouble for not returning them to their place. I was told, more than once, if I didn’t return, them I didn’t get to use them.

As the Gysin kids became adults, it was no longer the scissors and tape that went missing. I can still hear my Dad complaining about how someone borrowed an item and didn’t return it. He’d get on the phone and ask for it back. I never did hear if the item in question got returned.

In the Miller household we have numerous rules. My husband constantly hears from me, “New rule, ….” Rules are usually put in place when someone didn’t follow through. Lately, I’ve had to make rules for myself so I won’t forget things. Sometimes I have to pay a penalty of monetary value, so I actually suffer the consequences if I break them.

Having rules makes life easier when living with others. Even though some rules are annoying, there’s usually a valid reason. We know them and we know what happens when we break them.

No comments: