Wednesday, December 9, 2009

How to Make Wire-wrap Jewelry: Teaching Teens and Young Adults


On Sunday, I participated in a Holiday Boutique Fundraiser at the church in Woodland Hills, CA, where my parents used to be the Ministers of Music. I brought my entire inventory of handmade wire-wrapped jewelry. My two customers were Lily and Lisa. I told them both I would teach them how to wire-wrap.

When I first learned how to wire-wrap jewelry, I made necklaces and earrings for my bridesmaids in my wedding. I loved making jewelry and it was affordable. Co-workers (all women) wanted to learn how to make jewelry, so I taught a class during our lunch break. Years later, I had an opportunity to teach wire-wrapping to high school students, girls and boys, at my husband's continuation school.

My classes were modeled after the class I took at a local bead store. I would provide a kit with all the supplies needed. Students got to pick the color of their bead (crystal). After one hour they would have completed a necklace to take home.

Lily and Lisa have inspired me to teach wire-wrapping again!

No comments: