Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thank you for all the support and friendship


This is a gift from an artist friend I have known for about 10 years. This is a stamp with the word “Laurie” written in Chinese. I love it. I can’t wait to stamp the back of all my handmade cards with it.

My friend and I have drifted apart. About a month after my Dad passed away, she lost her Dad, then her Mom a couple of months after that. We were both a strong support for each other before our loss. When we’d see each other, we would talk about our family dynamics and business left to executors. Over the past several months we’ve stopped talking to each other. I thought she needed space.

Last month, I decided to seek the help of a counselor. I felt like I was cranky all the time--my expectations of friends and family were not being met. Why was I feeling this way? The counselor helped me understand that I’ve been anxious. Note, when one is anxious, one becomes irritable. In my case? CRANKY! Since then I’ve relearned how to relax. It actually feels good. More importantly, I’ve learned not to take things personally.

The card with the gift read, “… thank you so much for all the support and friendship this year.” Even though we’ve drifted apart, it’s not personal. I hope to reconnect with her soon.

No comments: