Sunday, February 28, 2010

All signs lead to ASL & ATS!


My second year out of college, I decided to take American Sign Language (ASL). Classes were offered through the local community college extension courses. I think ASL is a beautiful language.

After studying for a year, I had joined a Sign Language choir during the Christmas holidays. The choir was for both hearing and deaf. We signed to songs such as, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer to a simple version of Handel’s Messiah. It was short-lived but fun.

Then I discovered the Big Brothers/Big Sisters Hearing Impaired Program (HIP) in San Francisco. After going through the grueling process of applying to be a Big Sister, I was paired up with an older girl in her early twenties. We had a wonderful year going to events together, but I eventually moved to Santa Cruz.

The summer before moving to Santa Cruz, I was accepted in a summer camp program as a counselor for the deaf at Camp Armstrong, near Occidental in Northern California. There were about ten deaf counselors, too. The deaf campers were mainstreamed with the hearing. It was quite challenging. I didn’t know how hard it would be to sign with kids. Their signs are all over the place. Boy, did they get frustrated if you asked them to repeat what they signed.

Somewhere between Santa Cruz and the present, I completely forgot I knew ASL. In discovering who I want to be in my next chapter of life, I remembered that I was quite good at ASL. Sadly, I am very rusty! I went to see Pippin by Deaf West Theatre and Center Theatre Group at the Mark Taper Forum. I’m starting over with ASL1 at Greater Los Angeles Council on Deafness (GLAD) and have enrolled in ASL2 at Pierce College.

Pierce, our local community college, has a huge American Sign Language/Interpreter program. I’m having my transcripts mailed. You never know. . . .

Plus, I want to each deaf women how to bellydance American Tribal Style (ATS)!!!

Photo of a sterling silver "I Love You" charm by James Avery Crafstman, no longer available.

No comments: