Monday, February 8, 2010

$0.007 per Mile

In September, 2009, shortly after my husband returned from Germany visiting his son and his family, I decided to get an electric scooter. My husband had mentioned he was amazed at the amount of scooters and bicycles all over Heidelberg. As much as I enjoy riding my bike, a scooter would be perfect for running errands locally, without the sweat.

I wanted a Vespa but they didn’t come electric. We have a new scooter shop on Canoga Ave., near Sherman Way. While out running errands, I stopped in to see what they had. They had electric scooters. Went back a week or so later and took a scooter on a test drive. It was scary.

Turns out the scooter we chose is over 1500 watts; therefore one must have a motorcycle license, at least M2 class. Not exactly what I had in mind. Nonetheless, by October, we had our scooter, took my motorcycle written test, got my permit, then, waited to take my motorcycle training at the end of November.

The MSF Basic Rider Course, approved by the California Highway Patrol, offers basic motorcycle training, among other classes. On my first day, I spent five hours in the classroom, reviewing motorcycle rules and laws. The following week, we spent five hours on the motorcycle (I rode my scooter). The last week, five more hours, we drilled moves and prepared for our skills test.

An hour before taking my skills test, during drills, my scooter died. I thought, perhaps the battery had died. Luckily, I was able to borrow a (gas) scooter and took my skills test. Again, not exactly what I had in mind. (By the way, it wasn’t the battery–circuit breaker had flipped. Yep, it’s electric!)

By passing my skills test, I received a completion card and my on-bike riding skills test for my motorcycle license (at the DMV) was waived. My license arrived last week. I suspected there might be an error but I’m not standing in line to get it fixed. I ended up with an M1 motorcycle license (good for both mopeds and motorcycles), not an M2. Not to worry, I never plan to ride a motorcycle, ever!

No comments: