Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dabbling in Music



Growing up, all of the Gysin siblings learned to play an instrument. My Dad would tell people how he would hear music on the piano and discover me playing by ear that which my brother played. I was five years old. The song was Minuet in G by Bach.

By the time I was old enough to take piano lessons, at the age of nine, I made a weak attempt at learning how to play. I didn’t understand the need for drilling and technique. I wanted to play songs. Nor was I interested in practicing. I quit the piano at age eleven (in the 6th grade) but it wasn’t without a fight. Mom insisted I finish out the school year.

But wait, three years at the piano shouldn’t go to waste. So, my first year in junior high, Mom had me enrolled in the West Valley Junior Youth Band. I remember the day we drove down to Canoga School of Music and met with the band director. We went home with a glockenspiel.

The summer between seventh and eighth grade my relatives from back east came to visit. My cousin brought her flute and I was hooked. I wanted to play it. Thanks to the wonderful music program at Columbus Jr. High, I played in both band and orchestra. I eventually picked up the oboe, too.

By the time I entered high school, joining the high school band or orchestra was competitive. I had to audition. It was intimidating. I opted out.

Thirty years later, I joined the Get Your Chops Back – Flute Choir, a program through Active Arts at the Music Center. The video (above) is from my second year in the Get Your Chops Back Flute Choir.

1 comment:

john angelico said...

did you know the West Valley Junior Youth Band is in The Bad News Bears? :) I'm watching the movie, googled the band name, found your blog and thought I'd mention it! - John